Monday, July 21, 2014

The Living Room

Our main floor living room is the most used room in the house. I have two kids, aged 4 and 6, and they basically rule the house. There are toys in every room, and I'm OK with that. I like kids' toys (except the big plastic ones), art, everything associated with childhood. Even if I didn't have kids, I would still have toys and some random kid's art in my house, I'm sure :)

The fireplace in the living room was the thorn in my side for the longest time. I hated the outdated (vintage, but not cool) stone/brick facade. It also had a brass insert, which I really couldn't stand. After debating on and off for a while whether or not to paint the fireplace white, I opted for just painting the insert black with some heavy-duty BBQ spray paint. (FYI, if you're going to attempt this, make sure to turn the pilot light off first...don't make the same rookie mistake I did!) I was very satisfied with the result, and then I just placed a bunch of plants around the mantle and the hearth, and...voila...you can barely even see the fireplace anymore! The lovely barn wood mirror also helps tie things together and works nicely with the black board in the adjoining dining room, methinks. What about you?





3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I didn't know about the pilot light. At least you lived to learn & tell the tale ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the main problem was that I had made an airtight "cocoon" out of plastic wrap so I wouldn't get paint on the brick, and I was painting inside of that. Hey, at least I was wearing my safety goggles!

    ReplyDelete