Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sky Planter

A couple of weeks ago I was in Corning, NY, for a one-night stopover en-route to Washington D.C. There is a really pretty, artsy downtown there, and I bought a lot of nice things. One store that got me particularly excited was Pure Design (www.puredesignonline.com). It was filled with the kind of mid-century modern home decor and furniture you see in Dwell magazine (Herman Miller, Marimekko, etc.). Right by the door, they had a display of these Boskke Sky Planters and, of course, I had to get one. It would necessitate me buying another houseplant, but what is one more when I already have 51 to water? Plus, I would be watering it upside down!



I picked up a spider plant yesterday for a buck and a quarter and planted it as per the instructions. There is a reservoir at the top of the container where your add the water. When you look at it from the inside, the bottom looks solid and it's hard to understand how the water can reach the soil, but as it turns out...AHA!...the reservoir base is made of clay, which is porous, allowing for a "Slo-Flo" release. I haven't had to water mine yet, so it will be interesting to see how messy it is (it did come with a warning not to hang over carpet or furniture or your husband's slippers), but I love how it looks like an octopus. The bottom line here is, don't tempt me with new reasons to buy another plant. I am incapable of resisting.


2 comments:

  1. That looks so cool. I look forward to the watering post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mere! Will definitely let you know how it worked out! ;)

      Delete