Monday, August 11, 2014

Make Your Own Terrarium

I love terrariums. There is something old-timey and romantic and cabinet-of-curiosities about them. For a long time I dreamed of having one, but I didn't have the proper type of receptacle, and all the ones I could find for sale were too rich for my blood. You can make a terrarium out of virtually any kind of glass container, but I was determined to have a pretty-looking one with a lid. In an "aha" moment, I figured out that the glass dome from my cheese plate fit on top of an old glass hurricane candle holder, and...boom!...I was ready to create my own mini ecosystem.

There are two kinds of terrariums: Open and Closed. Both are ideal for people who are prone to forgetting to water their plants. Open Terrariums are more for dry plants, such as succulents, as they don't like a lot of moisture. Closed Terrariums, on the other hand, are miniature replicas of the cycle of nature: rain falls then evaporates into the air, gathers in the clouds (on the underside of the lid), and falls again. Keeping the lid closed allows for moisture to be recycled, meaning you only have to water these nature's miracles once every month or so with a wee bit of the wet stuff. You will need to remove the lid to let in some air once every week to 10 days for a few hours for the plant to thrive and to avoid mold. Plants that like a lot of moisture, such as tropical plants and orchids, are ideal for this type of terrarium.

Note: Terrariums are ideal for locations that get little direct sun. Though they need some indirect sunlight, putting them in a south-facing window will cause the glass to heat up and cook the plant...not what you want to happen.

To build your terrarium, simply cover the bottom in some river stones to absorb excess water, then add your potting soil and your plant(s). Decorative moss is a nice touch. Some people like to make "scenes" by adding Star Wars figures and whatnot. I added this Seedpod Bird from West Elm, and it actually started to germinate. It doesn't look as cute anymore, but, hey, it's proof that my mini ecosystem is working!


No comments:

Post a Comment