Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pillow Talk

As anyone who knows me knows, I have an unhealthy obsession with throw pillows. Unlike my obsession with plants, which I can sort of justify by telling myself that I am "rescuing" them (from what terrible fate, I'm not quite sure), pillows just take up a lot of space on the couch...and after a while, in our closets, which are filled to bursting with them.

I love that you can totally change the look and color scheme of any room, just by swapping out the pillows. Three years ago, I took an introductory sewing class that changed my life. We learned to make an envelope-back pillow cover, and I have since made about a hundred million of these. For any of you living in the Hamilton area, I highly recommend taking the pillow-making class at Needlework (www.iloveneedlework.com). Once you know how to sew, the possibilities of what you can do with your decor have no end!

Which brings me to my latest project. My husband's family cottage is situated on the Kettle and Stony Point First Nation Reserve by Lake Huron, and last summer, I found the most gorgeous wool fabric at a CAR WASH there, of all places! This super amazing car wash sold tons of beautiful traditional print fabric, craft supplies for leather moccasins, and even some Pendleton blankets. I knew I had to snap up the sweet fabric below or I'd be kicking myself in the tush all the way home.


Last week, I finally found the time to turn this fabric into two new envelope-back pillow covers. So quick and easy...and much easier on the wallet than ordering similar pillows from Pendleton!


When paired with some Turkish kilim cushions I ordered from Istanbul last year (!), I now have the colorful, exotic couch I've been lusting after for years.


Insta-makeover! (Well, not quite instantaneous, but it's amazing what a difference a couple of new pillows can make.) If you're ever up by Pinery Provincial Park, take a side drive down the road to Kettle Point. The beach is beautiful...and the car washes are a crafter's dream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment