Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Easy to Make Beautiful Boho Dream Catcher

One of my favorite things to do is to rehab things that I buy so they suit my tastes perfectly. Often, I will come across something on sale or at a thrift store that I would totally love if only it was a different color or didn't have that chip, or whatever the case may be. But with just a bit of of imagination, you can totally make over just about anything. Spray paint is my homegirl. I've used it to transform so many objects from blah to ooh-la-la. But when I spotted this lone, whimsical dream catcher-like wall hanging in the kids' department at my local HomeSense, I knew I would have to take a different tack. I had to have it right away, but I wasn't crazy about the colors. Cute for a girl's bedroom, but I wanted to hang this in mine. So, I bought it anyway and went to work. This is the result:


And this is what it looked like before:


Definitely just a matter of taste, but the point is the fun of the transformation! Even if you aren't lucky enough to find a similar dream catcher in a color you're not so fond of at YOUR local HomeSense/HomeGoods/Marshalls, you can still make this beauty from scratch in an afternoon. Let me show you how.

What You'll Need:

-Embroidery hoop of any size (my dream catcher is the size of a dinner plate) from a craft supply store or thrift store
-Piece of lace fabric (e.g. a thrifted tablecloth) or a crocheted doily from a thrift store that will fit your embroidery hoop
-Fabric strips, ribbon, lace, etc. in the color scheme of your choice
-Tassels (optional)
-Gold cord (optional)


To start, you will need to cut your lace fabric just slightly larger than the circumference of your embroidery hoop, then unscrew the hoop and place it between the two pieces, so it fits snugly (ditto if you are using a crocheted doily, minus the cutting). Then, turning your hoop around, simply start hot gluing ribbon/fabric strips onto the inside bottom of the embroidery hoop. A variety of textures will produce a more visually appealing effect. I layered beige cotton canvas strips, thinner cotton canvas strips that I had spray painted gold, thick white lace ribbon and thick cotton ribbon in a lighter beige hue. To dress things up even more, I interspersed some silky white tassels that I found at Michaels, tying them with thin gold cord to the ribbon strips at random intervals.

I am quite certain I will sleep well with this dreamy lady watching over me! It only took an hour or so to make, for a total cost of $20, much less than what you would pay if you were to buy one from Etsy. Not that you shouldn't...there are plenty of gorgeous dream catchers available on Etsy. But if you possess even an ounce of creative mojo, you can definitely make this one yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment