Sunday, March 22, 2015

Kids' Sewing Project

I don't know why, but I'd been procrastinating when it came to teaching my kids how to sew. I bought Dace a used Barbie sewing machine over a year ago and she'd asked to use it several times since then but I kept putting it off. But today, being the last day of March Break, seemed as good a time as any!

For my kids' first try at sewing, I had them make super simple "stuffies" out of fabric scraps. They drew their creatures on paper first, and then we cut them out to use as patterns, making sure to keep the shapes as basic as possible so they would be easy to sew. I still ended up helping a lot, but I think the girls had fun. We used my machine, and they were both a little scared of it--Violet couldn't even reach the pedal--but hopefully it was a good experience overall, and their dolls turned out pretty cute.

Dace's Bunny


Violet's Puppy


We totally cheated by gluing on all the features, including the buttons, but we'd had enough sewing for one afternoon...and there was a lot of clean up to be done!


(BTW, polyester fiberfill is perfect for creating Napoleonic hairstyles!)


I actually think Violet was a little on the young side for this project, although my friend Melanie's five-year-old daughter is already quite the accomplished sewer, so ya never know! I think I might do a basic pillow case with them next time, as the long, straight lines make it an ideal beginner project. 

Okay, this wiped-out mama is going to go relax with a glass of wine and an episode of House Hunters now...till next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment